Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"Opposition in all things."

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things."
-2 Nephi 2:11

Why that scripture? Because in life we have good times and bad.

Bad times, first:
Last Friday as I was getting ready for my daughter's wedding. The phone rang and it was my doctor's nurse. She let me know that I tested positive for Lyme disease. What in the heck is that? Well you can do a GoogleSearch on it, as I did. Yep, those were my symptons. I thought it was the flu or a really bad cold and I wasn't getting better. I took the antibiotic the doc prescribed...for a few days, felt great and so I stopped taking it. After all, it was just a flu or cold right? It all started when I got back from New Mexico. When I told the doc that I just got back from camping, he decided to run a number of tests on diseases carried by rabbits, mosquitos and deer ticks (carried by the mule deer, which I saw lots of!)

All that time I was camping at Philmont Ranch in New Mexico, I was looking out for bears! And I should have been on the watch for ticks!!!

I guess I got bit by one. It didn't really notice. Apparently the deer tick can look as tiny as a poppy seed. I did notice a rash, but thought it was an allergy. I think the worst symptom is joint pain. Very annoying...especially for a longarm quilter! What am I learning from this experience?

1. Don't stop taking your doctor-prescribed antibiotics just because you start feeling good.

2. Put on your DEET, even if you don't think you need to.

3. Mule deer are cute, but remember they might be carrying ticks.
4. As Gandalf tells Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit"...Make sure you stay on the path!

5. Don't take short-cuts through tall grasses, no matter how adventurous it seems.

While I was camping, I went on a hike and took a short-cut through a meadow. Could that have been where the tick was waiting for me? Who knows. Now I'm back on the antibiotic, doxycyline and I will take it faithfully. Hope these symptoms go away soon. No time for this! I ache all over.

Good times, next: My daughter Julie is now a married woman. She and Tyler were married in the LDS Temple in San Diego, CA last Friday. Julie is such a beautiful bride. Here are a few more pictures of that happy day. Isn't that San Diego temple magnificant looking?
(I'll post more pictures soon. And Julie & Tyler's quilt came out beautifully...pictures of it coming soon.)
Now we're off to Utah for an Open House for Julie & Tyler. I'll be back next week.


4 comments:

His Office, My Studio said...

I have heard about so many people getting Lyme Disase this summer. I wonder if the ticks are stronger this year.

Congratulation on your daughter's wedding. The photos are beautiful!

Charlotta-love said...

That is my absolute favorite temple! Congrats to your daughter.

Samantha said...

So sorry to hear about your illness- but your daughter looks beautiful in those photos!

Diane said...

I can't believe a tick got you!! That's one of those things you think will never happen to you. I hope you feel better soon. You would never have known you were feeling so lousy...way to make it through the wedding! What a beautiful day! We were so happy to be able to share it with you! Give our love to everyone!