Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Christmas Memory

When I was a kid, on Christmas Eve, my big sister and I would sneak downstairs and check out what Santa brought us. You see, "Santa" (aka Mom and Dad) would set out our gifts around the living room. We even made name tags and set them around the night before, so Santa would know where to put our gifts. During the night my big sister would sneak into my room and wake me up and say, "Let's go see what Santa brought us!"

We'd sneak downstairs quietly so my parents wouldn't wake up. In the morning we acted all surprised as the rest of the family would come and see what Santa brought. The first time we did this, were little and living in Penn Hills, PA. During the years we lived in New Mexico, we did it too. When I was 7, we moved to southern California. And there we continued our Christmas Eve tradition.

The last year that my big sister and I did this was the Christmas of 1982. I had just returned from an LDS mission in Spain. I was 22 years old. My big sister was there at my parents house visiting with her little baby girl. Christmas Eve came and we all went to bed. During the night, my big sister quietly snuck into my room and said, "Let's go see what Santa brought us!"

As we tiptoed around the living room peaking at all the presents, I realized that here we were, two adults peaking at Christmas presents! I was a returned missionary and she was a mother!

I'll never forget that Christmas because it was the last time we did this. Lives changed and I eventually had a family of my own. Her family grew and she soon had 6 kids! Soon my big sister will be grandma! Maybe she still gets up in the middle of the night to see what Santa brought!
*********************
Enjoy this Mr. Bean Classic! Merry Christmas!
(check back tomorrow to find out who won my blog giveaway!)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Vivian, I sure would love to talk with you because like you I was born and raised in Penn Hills, PA and still live on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. What a small world.

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

That's funny that your big sister and you would do that. Did "Santa" ever know that you did that?

Loved the Mr. Bean! We watched Mr. Bean's vacation up at your little sister's house at Thanksgiving.
Thanks for the laugh!
Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing you and your DH soon.