Saturday, February 13, 2010

A New Member of the Club

...which club? The "Grandma Club"!
On Dec. 30, 2009 I became a grandmother for the first time! Jay William Barnes entered the world at 2:22 am, weighing in at 7 lbs 4 oz.

Below is the first picture I saw of Jay. It came over on my cell phone (via text) from my son-in-law. It was love at first sight! (check out that blonde hair!)
Jay was born a few weeks early. He had a little bit of a rough start and had to be under the bili lights in the NICU. I called them his "disco dancing" lights!
Daughter #1 and her Sweetheart, Jay's parents, live in Utah, near the Idaho border. As soon as we heard the great news that our grandbaby had arrived, we jumped into our car and drove as quickly as we could. 12 hours later...the picture below is my husband meeting his grandson for the first time. Notice Jay holding is grandpa's finger!
Here he is looking at his mom. "Are you my mother?"
Two new happy parents with their little baby, ready to leave the hospital.
I returned to Utah 3 weeks later to spend a week with the little family. Here they are with Jay. Look how much he's already grown!
He's now almost a month and half old! He weighs over 11 lbs! (yes, I'm one of those grandma's, who shows everyone pictures of the cutest baby ever! I show everyone...the people at the grocery store, the bank tellers, the ladies at the quilt shops...everyone!
And what kind of quilt did his grandma make for him? A fleece blanket to keep him warm up there in the snow. I chose a fleece with surfboards...to remind him of his grandma down here in sunny California!

Now back to quilting! Lots of little boy quilts to make for my grandson!

19 comments:

katquilter said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! And I know a beautiful baby when I see one. I have my first grandbaby, too! After birthing three sons, I finally have some girl energy; a granddaughter! She is six months old and lives too far away! Thank goodness for Skype!

Martha said...

The Grandmother's Club is the best club to belong to. Congratulations on your new little grandson. Glad your back on the blog. I have missed you and your beautiful quilts.

Elizabeth said...

He is beautiful! What a great smile. How can you not just fall in love with such a sweet little thing. Keep us posted as he grows! I love to see pictures!

Gina said...

Congratulations. Gorgeous photos

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Material Mary said...

How very fun for you to be a grandma. I live 30 min from the Idaho border. Maybe I might run into this sweet family sometime.
Mary

vivian said...

Congratulations! Beautiful pics-what a happy baby!

Summerset said...

Congratulations to you and your family! He's so cute!

Angie said...

Congratulations! Jay is indeed a beautiful baby! All the pictures are wonderful. I've missed you and your blog postings. I know you are even busier now! But, look forward to hearing about Grandmother-hood, and quilting too --of course.

Debra Dixon said...

Awww, how precious!

Rosie1925 said...

He is AMAZING!!! Congratulations!!

dianne said...

WELCOME to the club - it is the BEST club in the world to belong to - and i'm one of THOSE grandmothers, too - pictures, pictures, pictures - if people don't like it, then i just want to know what's WRONG WITH THEM??!?

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

This has to be the most beautiful baby ever. I'm one of those people who try and hide normally when people get their baby photos out, but this little darling is so wonderful, just keep them coming.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

He is absolutely adorable!! Congratulations Grandma!!

Bonnie said...

Congratulations Vivian! I've missed your posts. Glad to hear your absence has been because of commitments to your family. When all is said & done, that's what is most important in this life.

Allie said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful little guy! I love the photo in the blue robe. So cute.

Shannon said...

Congratulations!

What a beautiful boy and wonderful addition to the world!!

HUgZ!

Kris said...

Vivian...it is THE best club of all!

Evaly said...

Congratulations! What a cutie. Tell Julie I'm happy for her :) Hope you are well!

Annieofbluegables said...

absolutely darling! congratulations