Friday, March 16, 2007

To make it official.

Monday my daugther called to let me know that she's officially engaged. We had suspected she was engaged long before all this. The signs were there: She had already been planning and organizing. I would say, "Where's the ring?" "Is it official?" She would spend hours on the internet looking at dresses, photographers, etc. She bought tons of bridal magazines, watched Martha Stewart: Best of Weddings series on TV, watched the DVD Father of the Bride. I guess as Mother-Of-The-Bride, I was thinking I didn't really have to step in and do anything until it was official!
Well, Monday, while my daughter was visiting her future-home-of-Utah, my future son-in-law got down on bended knee and proposed to her. I'm so happy for her. My friends ask me how I feel and I say "I'm exhausted...and we haven't even begun."
What to do? I've never had a married daughter. (For my own wedding, 25 years ago, my mother did everything and I just showed up. To be honest with you, I had never thought I would get married. I was a career-girl all the way. And then one day my DH showed up in my life and changed everything. I was in love! That was not in my plans.)
So, how do you plan a wedding??? Can anyone share some advice or good websites? Certainly, I must make a wedding quilt! That much I know how to do.
Last night I woke up with a horrible UTI. Is the stress already getting to me? Today I'm exhausted. Luckily the prescription finally kicked in. Thank God for macrobid!

Pictured right: I love this picture of these pioneers. Notice 3 different women here. The one on the left is carrying a frying pan; looks like she's ready to work hard. The one in the wagon reminds me of an Annie Oakley-type. I'll bet she's concealing a gun. The one on the right reminds me of my daughter Julie: The romantic, so in-love with her fiance. I don't know who the rest of the people are, but I'll bet there's a quilter sewing away there inside that wagon!!! I am a combination of all 4 of the women--but mostly that quilter!

2 comments:

His Office, My Studio said...

Congratulations to you and your family!

My hubby and I just showed up at our wedding when we were told to. My Mom did it all.

I always said if I live way back when I would of been like Annie Oakley.

Kay said...

What an interesting picture. It's intriquing to speculate about the relationship of these people--one family, brothers and sisters, two couple and an extra person? What?

Good luck on all the wedding stuff. Thank goodness I have sons. Hated plans for my wedding and would hate a daugher's even more.