Tuesday, January 22, 2008

All in a Machine Quilter's Day's Work

As a machine quilter, I get all kinds of quilts come through my studio door. I enhance them. I embellish them. I help finish them. Here's one I got a kick out of. I hope this puts a smile on your face too.

This is a "medallion" quilt. This customer really did a ton of piecing. Every row all around is something different. I got to do different freemotion quilting designs throughout. So much fun. This is the top.

Let's roll the quilt a little more and see more of her piecing.

Let's see what I did close up on one of the rows. Fun. Fun. Fun. (I'm not kidding! I'd rather do machine quilting than anything else!)

Let's roll it down a little more.

Wait a minute! Hold the presses! What is that in the center? What is the 'medallion' in this medallion quilt? Let's take a closer look.









Keep going....







Keep scrolling...








You're almost there...










Hey! Isn't that the "Mudflap Girl"? Do you need a closer look?

How about an even closer look and you can see how I quilted around her. No, I didn't quilt on her, just around her.

This quilt is for my customer's nephew. He's in his late 20's. She told him she would put whatever he wanted in the center of his quilt. As they were driving down the highway behind a semi-truck, he pointed and said, "That's what I want in the center of my quilt." And his dear aunt put exactly what he asked for in the center. The Mudflap Girl.

I wonder if my great-great grandmother, Ann Midgley McCune, professional quilter and weaver from England (later Nephi, Utah...pictured seated) ever saw such a quilt come through her studio.

Did they have "Mudflap Girl" mudflaps on wagons???

Have a great day! :)

7 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

What a Hoot! and what a great Aunt too! Might as well give the guys what they want.

Thimbleanna said...

You're hysterical Vivian!!! I don't know about your pioneer ancestors, but I'm pretty sure my pioneer ancestors didn't have any mudflap girls on their mudflaps. Maybe petticoat girls???

Becky said...

I LOVE it! That made me smile. I was thinking maybe Harley before I got to the bottom. Mudflap girl makes my vision that much better. Thanks for sharing!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

I think our husbands secretly want that quilt...do you think??? The only quilt that would ever adorn the walls of a "man cave". Too funny!

dee said...

That's so funny Vivian. You really do make me smile.

Lady Beekeeper said...

Great story - the telling was the best part! I enjoyed it.