Thursday, November 6, 2008

How Do You Do That, Vivian?

Here's a quilt I worked on recently. There's a design in there that I do frequently. Here's how to do it.
It's super easy. First you make a little curl going in one direction. Check it out below:
Then make another one going the other direction.
Then make a third one in the opposite direction of the one you last did. You should have 3 now.
Then you go back and echo the 3 curls you just did. See below:
Then you do it all over again. I know, I know, you look at what I did and you can see that it's not what I do exactly everytime. Otherwise, it wouldn't be freehand, which is what I love to do. I just try to keep it pretty consistant. Eight years of machine quilting and teaching and I never get tired of this freehand design!
Also, in order to give more dimention to this quilt, the woman who made the top added some batting as she embroidered the flowers. See, look here underneath as I'm working on it.
There you have it! Now, you try...Have a great day.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Ugh! I'm so enious of your machine and your talents!

Deborah Levy said...

beautiful quilting Vivian! in fact it was quite a treat reading thru your log tonight..I was way behind in my reading.

Delighted Hands said...

Just beautiful; thanks for the lesson!

Summerset said...

Neat - I'll have to try it with my domestic!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Thanks for that lovely quilt design. I am definitely going to have to use that one for my next quilt, even without a longarm.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely design!

Renee said...

Thanks Vivian... I just tried your techinique with pencil and paper. It is really nice and easy to do. I have the perfect project to try it on, but first I have to finish the top!

Tanja said...

I just recently discovered your blog and have been enjoying the pictures and information. Thank you for sharing how you did this particular pattern. I have a wall hanging that would totally suit this type of quilting but I was unsure as to how to go about it. Happy Quilting!