Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Doing Our Part

The other morning I was telling my Seminary (early morning scripture study) students how my husband has taught my children to have compassion and give service to others. All three of my children are like their dad with their love of others. I'm so glad they learned this great quality from him.

In fact, for Thanksgiving this year our family served a turkey dinner at a homeless shelter in Santa Ana, CA. We worked for about 3 hours in the morning. It was a great experience. My BabyBoy was with with us, as well as Daughter #2 and her husband. (Sorry I didn't take any pictures.) I'm glad we had a chance to serve even here in Orange County.

Last summer my BabyBoy went to Peru with his dad to help build orphanages. What a great experience it was for him. This summer Daughter #2 and her husband want to go to Peru and work too. If you would like to donate to a great organization helping children in South American, (and it's 100% tax deductible) read about it here: EveryDollarCounts. And all proceeds help Daughter #2 and her husband get to Peru to work building orphanages. Please, won't you consider making a donation?
As for me, I have been trying to do my part to. I recently finished quilts for another wonderful group called: Home of the Brave Quilts. All the quilts are given to families who have loved ones who have died from injuries received while on active duty in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. So far, 2,450 quilts have been delivered. The quilts are replicas of the Civil War US Sanitary Commission quilts. Read about the quilts here: CivilWarQuilts. I love what's written on this quilt below: "Home of the Free, Because of the Brave."
And here's a lovely patriotic quilt below, I did for one of my customers who made it for a nephew who is serving in the military. I hope he likes it. I loved working on it!
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." --Matthew 25:40

Let's all try to do our part!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your son is very handsome!! is he single?