Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's A Good Thing I Was Quilting!

It's a good thing I was quilting tonight. Even though my longarm purrs like a kitten...it does make some noise and it's not easy to hear things going on around me. Tonight I missed this:

Do I live in earthquake country? That red square indicates a 5.0 earthquake centered in San Bernardino, about 45 miles east of my hometown, Yorba Linda.

I didn't feel this earthquake at all tonight. I just felt a little dizzy as I was quilting. I thought to myself, "Oh great! Am I getting sick again?"

My BabyBoy sure felt it. He was sitting on the floor playing video games. He came into my studio and said,
"Did you feel that Mom?"
I said, "Felt what?"
He said, "I think we just had an earthquake."
He sat down at the computer and went to this site: Earthquakes

There you can see all the earthquakes just seconds after they happen. Not a pleasant site to look at when you live in a state where there are 300 earthquakes a day! Oh, the joys of living in southern California!

Like I said...it's a good thing I was quilting. That way I didn't have to feel the earthquake and could focus on a quilt like this.

A lovely Broken Star quilt.

Below is a view of the back.
Yes, quilting is much more pleasant than feeling earthquakes! Now get back to work, Vivian!

9 comments:

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

We felt that one! It was small here. Reminded me of the movie LA Story when they are at the restaurant eating lunch during the earthquake. Funny

Anonymous said...

Your quilting is absolutely amazing! I can see why you didn't notice the earthquake..............too focused on the stitches.

Material Mary said...

Seriously, the last earthquake when I was in California was centered in Upland and it literally caught me with my pants down--bathroom duty. Glad you were quilting. It is a little safer than the bathroom. Love your new look on the blog.
Maryc

Debra Dixon said...

Such pretty quilting!

Suzanne said...

Well, if you have to go in an earthquake, at least you were having fun quilting! Glad you are okay!

Summerset said...

I remember some of the "smaller" ones (5.0 and below) being like that. My husband was in the mall one time and didn't notice a smaller one at all. At least you were busy and doing your fabulous quilting!

Joyce said...

Beautiful quilting.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Vivian, the light just makes your beautiful quilting shine! You're amazing!

I don't know how you manage wiht all those earthquakes. We rarely get them here, but we did have one last April that woke us up. And now, oddly, we have a leak in the basement. Hmmmm....do we think that crack could have been caused by the earthquake???

Shanna said...

I lived in CA years ago and I don't miss the earthquakes...just everything else :o) Your quilting is amazing!! I absolutely love the picture of the back of the quilt. I have a think for the backs. You can see all the beautiful quilting without being distracted. The front is gorgeous too, though!!