Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Treasures

Last week a lady at church asked, "Hey Vivian, you quilt, don't you?" I answered, "Sure." I thought she was going to ask me to make her a quilt. Then she said she'd been given a bunch of quilt books from a lady she knew and wondered if I would like them. She didn't know the owner of the books personally. They were given to her from a friend of friend and they've been sitting in her garage collecting dust. The other night she brought them by.

Let me share these treasures with you...

It looks as if the owner of these books, magazines, and patterns was a quilter in the 70's and 80's. She was very organized with her templates and directions.
I reminisced about the days I learned to quilt in the 80's. I looked at this woman's notes and recalled learning the same things many years ago. (I started quilting in 1983...which means I've been quilting since I was a baby?...LOL!) One of her quilting books was from 1972. Check this cool girl out! Groovy trapunto pantsuit!
And don't you just love this guy's vest below? Can you dig it?

Check out this far out ad for Mountain Mist batting! Don't you love this girls funky outfit? Actually the yellow shoes kinda scare me!

Now below is the nicest book in her collection. It's a big coffee-table-sized book called "The Art Quilt." I drooled over the pictures in this book!Here's a page for you to enjoy:I'm sure the stack of books that was given to me was only a treasure to me! ...and any other quilters who can appreciate them! Others might consider them trash.

*****************

And here's a little treasure I worked on the other day for The Calico House . They had it on display at their booth at Road to California. Lovely Lakehouse DryGoods fabrics! Closer detail of my quilting. I hope they sold lots of kits of this little treasure at the show!

********************

And one more treasure...

The other day I found this picture of my girls. They are about 7 and 4. In the background you see my hubby and my brother-in-law. He's a farmer in Idaho. This was our family's first experience riding in a combine. We are such city-folk compared to our relatives in Idaho! We loved the adventure of it! Look at how beautiful the sky is! Look at how little my girls are! This is definitely another one of the those things that is a treasure only to me. A sweet memory.

8 comments:

Allie said...

Wow! That is a lot of treasures! The Idaho pictures look so much like some I have at my Grandpa's farm. I love the quilt you worked on for The Calico House, beautiful quilting!

Vicki W said...

What great fun you must be having going through this quilter's history. Your quilting is really cute on this quilt too!

Sherri said...

Oh, I love the Lakehouse quilt...especially the yo-yo flowers! And I was going to try and get my quilt finished to send with Natalie...but didn't get it done!

Dawn said...

Great treasure indeed!! The Lakehouse quilt is beautiful!!

Debra Dixon said...

What's scary about those books is that some of those fashions may be coming back soon!

Shannon said...

I love yo-yos!

Summerset said...

LOL - those shoes! My mom had a pair, in a mustardy gold, the leather on top was woven and the platform was dark brown. She also had two pairs exactly alike that were bright patent yellow and bright lime green patent, but they didn't have the back strap - just clog-like.

Suzanne said...

I've seen the book "The Art Quilt" at the library...inspiring to look at...great Idaho photos