Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hats Off To Mothers

At church I lead the children in singing time. Their ages range from 3 years to 11 years. It is absolutely my favorite time of the entire week. I really look forward to Sundays just to do my little job. It is a small group of children. Last Sunday for Mother's Day they sang in Sacrament Meeting (the main Sun. meeting at my church.) All the mothers loved it! (pictured below is my mother many years ago. So young and beautiful. This is her 'latin lover' picture!)
In our Singing Time we played a game with the children with these little hats that went along with this poem:
"My mommy's a nurse who fixes and patches
All of hurts and my sores and my scratches.
My mother's a chef who fixes each dinner
Fit for a king...a blue ribbon winner.
My mom's a chauffer who drives pretty slow
But gets me to places where I need to go.
My mom's a detective, and none is greater
At getting the truth from me sooner or later.
My mommy's a gardener and works really hard
Planting and weeding and grooming our yard.
My mother's a maid...at least that's what she said
'Cause she cleans up the house and makes every bed.
My mother's an angel...a queen in disguise...
Who teaches the Gospel with tears in her eyes."

The children changed the hats as they read the verses of the poem and sang different songs. It was lots of fun.

Let me tell you about a special mother I knew...My mother-in-law. She passed away a few years ago from the effects of MS. She was truly a "saint." Let me tell you a story about her: Many years ago I had to iron all of my husband's shirts for work. I really hated ironing...(now I send all his shirts out.) Well, one evening my in-laws were visiting us. I had a huge pile of shirts to iron and I was complaining to my mother-in-law about it. I was tell her how much I hated ironing.

Later I had to run an errand to the store. When I returned, my mother-in-law was ironing those shirts! You see, she was in wheelchair and due to the effects of MS, which she had for many years, she only had the use of one arm. And there she was ironing those shirts for me! (at this point I wanted to crawl into a hole...I was so ashamed.) But I learned at that point how much my mother-in-law loved me. I loved her too and I miss her. (she is pictured below with Daughter #1)
This is what Daugther #2 had delievered to my home last weekend. A bouquet of cookies! Yummy!The Purse Dog was waiting for a morsel. Here she is sniffing the delicious sweet cookies. She's wearing her pj's too! So cute.
This is why I am a mother...because of these 3 great kids. I love them very much. Thanks for letting me be your mother!

1 comment:

LaVonne said...

Vivian, You brought a tear to my eye. I had the honor of meeting your mother-in-law several times, she was a very lovely lady. When are you taking the "Vivian Show" on the road? My ward could reallllly use you!! Love ya mate.